Friday, April 22, 2011

News readers: Flipboard, Pulse News Reader

Hello again! What's new..s...? Ok, bad pun. I apologize.

But let's talk news apps!

My absolute, all-time favorite news reading app is Flipboard.


First of all, it's free. Who doesn't like that? My bank account certainly does. Not only does it cost nothing, but it's beautiful. It's like reading a newspaper or magazine, and includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, plus popular websites/magazines/blogs like Gizmodo, Engadget, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, and even Oprah. You can even add custom sections like specific twitter feeds or people. It completely changes the way I read my news and blogs.





It works on iPad only, iOS 3.2 and higher. And did I mention it's free??

I give it a 5 out of 5 on the deliciousness meter.


(Oh, did I tell you I'm starting a meter rating? No?? Well, I'm starting a meter rating. There. Now we're all caught up.)



Next: the Pulse News Reader.


I don't like this one quite as much, but only because, design-wise, I think the home screen is too tight and cluttered. A lot of the news/blog sources are the same or similar to Flipboard. Pulse seems to allow more pages and therefore more feeds, so that's one thing it does better, and it's also got a "mini" version that works on iPhones/iPods. And the price? Free!


This one's an easy 4 on the meter.







Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. I love Flipboard. Thanks for the suggestion from a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is App-solutly my new favorite blog. I need some great app ideas so I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rules, love the widget, could be a little faster on to load full stories. Wish there was a browser/desktop based version I could sync with so I could leave google reader. Curation on the "top ___ stories" is great too, helps keep the important stuff at the top effectively

    http://free-android-application.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete